Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mommy "Me Time"

Sometimes I have to ask myself how it’s possible to juggle two kids (one in school, and one at home), a house that constantly needs cleaning, a husband that needs clean clothes and my own need to hit the gym. When I look at all the things a stay-at-home mom has to do in a day, I wonder how I keep my head straight. That’s why I promised myself I would make more time for “me” this year. This is such a mommy thing to say, but in the middle of packing lunches, putting fairy wings on my 3-year-old, doing laundry, and listening to my other daughter yell at me for brushing her hair too hard, I realized I was still in my pajamas. After the hustle and bustle, I try to think of any excuse to get out of the house. Sitting down with a cup of coffee to watch the morning news isn’t cutting it. I need to find something more proactive that will make my soul smile. Will it be the gym? Shopping? Meeting a family member for brunch? Taking a walk on an unseasonably warm day? Why isn’t this “the list” I think about when I have an hour to spare? I guess my message to all the other stay-at-home parents out there is to remember how important you are for at least a fraction of the day. I won’t think any less of you if you still have dishes in your sink, laundry baskets of clothes waiting to be washed, or floors that need tending to. These things don’t define who you are. It’s the experiences in your life that make you amazing. What’s on your list of things to do today?

No comments:

Post a Comment